Intel Core i7 4790k is one of the top-notch processors that any gamers should have one in order to gain the most satisfying experience with their games. Not just gamers but anyone who needs faster speed as well as smoother performance can totally enjoy it. The article is written for those who haven’t used it. In case you have owned a processor, we have a tip for you. By the article, we are gonna show you the best motherboard for i7 4790k so that you can upgrade your processor to a higher level.
Motherboards are undoubtedly an indispensable component that you should buy together with your processor. Motherboards are usually called by some other names such as Mobo, Mboard, Mainboard or MB. The compatibility between the CPU and the mobo significantly boost the overall performance of the system.
Here we come and see a list of the best products!
best motherboard for i7 4790k Comparison 2022
** Below, you will find our detailed reviews of the best motherboard for i7 4790k, but you can also click these following links to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
- Intel LGA 1200 Socket: Designed to unleash the maximum performance of 11th Gen Intel Core processors
- AI Motherboard : AI overclocking, AI cooling and AI noise cancelation
- Supports 10th Generation Intel Core / Pentium Gold / Celeron Processors for LGA 1200 socket
- Supports dual channel DDR4 memory up to 128GB (4800MHz)
- 【LGA 1150 Mini ITX Motherboard】H97 4th/5th motherboard equipped with LGA1150 CPU socket, supports Intel i5/i7 and Xeon E3 series processors with LGA 1150 socket.
- 【DDR3 Dual-channel Memory】The LGA 1150 computer motherboard supports dual-channel Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR3, 1600/1333Mhz effective frequency. The maximum memory capacity is 16G.
- Compatible with z97 boards only
- Not compatible with Z87 or Intel Motherboards
- 【Full Function Addressable RGB PWM Silent Fan】Full function 120mm 5V 3Pin addressable RGB, 12V 4Pin PWM fans adopt silentPro blades design with Corona LED frame to increase air convection efficiency and greatly improve heat dissipation. Stable operation and reduce noise. The fan supports for automatic speed control, at 1000~2000±10%RPM. Shockproof rubber pads keep the fans quieter.
- 【Definable RGB LED Acrylic Top Guard Sync with FRGB Fan and Motherboard】Definable RGB LED acrylic top guard, syncs with FRGB addressable version, protects heat pipes from damage. Sync with the FRGB fan lights or motherboard like rainbow, stylish and cool, full of personality. It can be also switched to solid light mode. Include RGB controller, 6 different solid colors and 10 lighting modes controlled by remote controller, unlimited changes.
- Intel Core i7 3.60 GHz processor offers more cache space and the hyper-threading architecture delivers high performance for demanding applications with better onboard graphics and faster turbo boost
- The Socket LGA-1700 socket allows processor to be placed on the PCB without soldering
- 8 Cores / 16 Threads
- Socket type LGA 1200
- Compatible with Z87 and Z97 motherboards. Z87 motherboard users may need to apply a BIOS update for compatibility. Not compatible with Intel Motherboards.
- LGA 1150
- Intel LGA 1200 Socket: Designed to unleash the maximum performance of 11th Gen Intel Core processors.BIOS: 192 (128+64) Mb Flash ROM, UEFI AMI BIOS
- Enhanced Power Solution: 10+1 DrMOS power stages, ProCool sockets, alloy chokes and durable capacitors provide stable power delivery for the most demanding situations
Top 10 best motherboard for i7 4790k Reviews 2022
MSI MEG Z490 GODLIKE Gaming Motherboard
- Supports 10th Generation Intel Core / Pentium Gold / Celeron Processors for LGA 1200 socket
- Supports dual channel DDR4 memory up to 128GB total (5000MHz)
This motherboard is widely accepted to be a beast when it comes to performance, particularly overclocking. There’s a lot of interesting things to talk about this motherboard. First, it can give you a remarkable transfer speed of up to 40Gbps which is super efficient for you to make the most of your PC.
With an LGA 1200 socket, it is perfectly compatible with Intel i7 4790k. It also comes with dual-channel DDR4 memory technology which supports as maximum as up to 120 GB. This makes your PC perform very quickly for whatever tasks it is running.
Regarding the power, it comes with 10 K Japanese capacitors. In order to deliver that power to the CPU socket, it contains pin connectors. And, to deliver such a great amount of power, it has stacked fin array heat sinks, a heat pipe and a mosfet on the rear to combat the heat escaping from the back of the mobo.
There are 2 frozen fans which automatically turn on and turn off if necessary. Hence, you can be totally satisfied with the cooling result that this item brings to you.
You can clearly see that your processor would be powerfully boosted right after installing MSI MEG Z490 GODLIKE. I bet you will never have to regret anything.
- It provides amazing transfer speed
- The smart cooling system works efficiently
- It has a strong built-up
- The price is quite high
ASUS Prime Z390-A Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th And 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 Gigabit LAN
- Designed for 9th and 8th generation Intel Core processors to maximize connectivity and speed with M. 2, USB 3. 1 Gen2 and ASUS Optimum II for better DRAM overclocking stability
- Revamped 5-Way Optimization that has the intelligence to overclock a CPU based on smart prediction and thermal telemetry. OptiMem II: Careful routing of traces and vias, plus ground layer optimizations to preserve signal integrity for improved memory overclocking
Another product coming from ASUS is ASUS Prime Z390-A Motherboard. Although it was designed for the 8th and 9th generation, it can still be a reliable partner for the i7 4790k that you can consider installing.
The motherboard provides you with M2 and USB 3.1 gen 2 so that the connectivity and speed of your processor can be maximized. Its ASUS Optimum II helps to improve DRAM overclocking stability.
Besides, it has innovated 5-way optimization, which is powerful and intelligent enough to overclock a CPU owing to thermal telemetry and smart prediction. This feature may not be found in other mobos with similar functions. In addition, there are 5X Protection III Hardware safeguards which offer users with LanGuard, Safe Slot Core, and greater convenience.
When it comes to cooling ability, the mobo is equipped with the Fan Xpert 5 which dramatically improves fan control. Thanks to the advanced dynamic cooling system, your processor can work efficiently with a steadily high speed.
If you want your processor to perform better and even remain stable in a long period of time, this motherboard is a very good choice.
- It has an advanced fan control
- The cooling system works efficiently
- Its 8-channel HD Gaming Audio provides excellent audio experience
- The item is incompatible with Window 7
MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI Gaming Motherboard
- Support for 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen processors and future AMD Ryzen processors with BIOS update
- Supports dual channel DDR4 memory up to 128 GB (4866 MHz)
This mobo is compatible with not only your i7 4790k but also the 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Processor and all the AMD Ryzen Processors. However, all the processors are required to update BIOS in order to enjoy its versatility.
If you are a big fan of heavy-duty online games, this mobo is particularly the best for you because only high-profile processors like MSI MPG B550 can run fast enough to meet these demands.
The mobo is capable of 128 GB of memory storage and can support a maximum RAM memory size of 128 GB. Along with that, the installations of 8+4 pin CPU power connectors, DDR4 Boost, 1+2+12 digital power and a Core Boost promise to help your processor to become more durable and speedy as well.
- It has a large storage capacity
- It is very strong for high-profile online games
- Users need to update BIOS if they want to use the mobo for Ryzen processor
ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboard B85M-G
- ASUS 5X Protection: All-round protection provides the best quality, reliability, and durability
- USB 3.0 BOOST (UASP Support): 170% faster transfer speeds than traditional USB 3.0
This is one of the top best motherboards in the list. It not only comes with the most advanced features but also has sturdy construction. Generally speaking, if you are looking for a product with all the amazing features from ASUS, this Mobo is the best choice.
It offers USB 3.0 BOOST together with a UASP Support, speed of which is nearly 170% faster than that of other common traditional USB 3.0. This great feature enables you to thoroughly enjoy your gaming time since your device has worked faster and efficiently.
In addition, the motherboard performs better with real-time network bandwidth management. Its case fan helps to control the temperature efficiently so that your processor will not slow down.
One problem that computer users commonly encounter is that their Mobo often corrupts data and they can’t find them again. However, this Mobo can provide an optimal solution by automatically restoring the corrupted BIOS data from your USB storage. Hence, you will not be afraid of losing data anymore.
- It controls temperature effectively
- It is stable for a long time
- It efficiently stores data
- It is the most suitable for i7 4790k
- Users need to update BIOS
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) M.2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 DDR4 HDMI DP Wi-Fi SLI CFX ATX Z390 Gaming Motherboard
- Supports 9th i9-9900K, i7-9700K, i5-9600K and 8th Generation Intel Core / Pentium Gold / Celeron processors for LGA 1151 socket
- Supports dual channel DDR4 Memory, up to 4400(OC) MHz; DIMM Slots: 4.Operating system: Support for Windows 10 64-bit
This mobo is the most cost-efficient when compared to any other items in the price range. It comes to the market with several cool features and a pocket-friendly price.
First, it is compatible with many processor models such as Intel Core 9th i9-9900k, some of the 8th gen and i5-9600k. You can also use the mobo together with a Celeron processor for LGA 1151 socket.
In addition, the mobo also offers a 64-GB RAM memory size and 4 memory slots. In details, it contains a dual-channel DDR4 Memory, DIMM Slots and can support ten 64-bit.
Also, with an USB 3.1 Gen2, USB 2.0 ports and an Intel Optane Memory, the item can serve its users with the most convenient features that a high-quality mobo should have. MSI MPG Z390 is also viewed as suitable for every kind of gamers thanks to its pre-installed ATX form factor and a heat sink that helps maintain the ideal temperature for your processor to run smoothly.
- It is versatile with many models of processor
- It has an advanced cooling system
- The price is reasonable
- No cons
ASROCK MB B365 PRO4 LGA1151/ Intel B365/ DDR4/ Quad CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.1/ M.2/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard
- Supports 9Th/ 8Th Generation Intel Core Processors
- Supports Cpu Up To 95W
The item is considered a decent choice for you. Although this mobo supports both Intel Core processors of 9th and 8th Generation, it can also support your i7 4790k with its CPUs which can run with 95W.
It is designed with an 8-power Phase and Digi power. Also, it supports Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 which is really helpful in increasing your processor’s speed. It also supports a maximum RAM memory size of up to 64 GB.
This is one of the best mid-level gaming motherboards. It doesn’t offer some advanced features that you can find in other high-quality items in the market. In return, the mobo offers you a very reasonable price.
- It comes with a budget-friendly price
- It is easily installed
- The Manual is helpful
- The IO plate looks flimsy
- Some pins do not hold the cables; so make sure you check this before turning your PC on
GIGABYTE B365M DS3H (LGA1151/Intel/Micro ATX/USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB3.0) Type A/DDR4/Motherboard)
- Supports 9th and 8th Gen Intel Core processors
- Dual channel non-ECC unbuffered DDR4
If you are looking for a motherboard which will support your processor with high-quality audio, consider to install GIGABYTE B365M DS3H. It has been preinstalled with several premium-quality audio capacitors as well as an audio noise guard. The noise guard pairing with LED trace path lighting gives your processor a distinct artistic look.
In addition, the item has a dual channel non-ECC DDR4 which can provide greater memory storage for you. It supports 64 GB as a maximum RAM memory size and 64 GB for memory storage capacity.
Regarding the versatility, this mobo is compatible with 8th and 9th Gen Intel Core processors.
- It performs very well
- Users don’t need to update BIOS
- Its 2nd slot is not big enough for large video cards
ASRock Z490M-ITX/ac Supports 10 th Gen Intel Core Processors (Socket 1200) Motherboard
- Supports 10 th Gen Intel Core processors (Socket 1200)
- Supports DDR4 4400MHz+ (OC)
This item is highly compatible with Intel Core i7 4790k and Intel Core 10th gen. It supports Socket 1200 with strong power.
Its 7.1 CH HD Audio allows you to enjoy the best audio when you are playing games. It also provides an HDMI as well as a DisplayPort option in order to enhance high graphics of your heavy-duty games. This also increases connecting versatility of the product.
Regarding the price, it is relatively cost-efficient when compared to other items in the same price range.
- The price is affordable
- It performs stably with no crash
- The VRM is reported to be weak
- There is no VRM temperature monitor
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK Gaming Motherboard
- Support for 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen processors and future AMD Ryzen processors with BIOS update.Audio ports (Rear): 5plus Optical S/PDIF (Realtek ALC1200 / ALC1220P Codec)
- Supports dual channel DDR4 memory up to 128 GB (4866 MHz)
Although this comes with a very reasonable price, it is a powerful motherboard which is compatible with your i7 4790k. You cannot believe that such an affordable mobo can give you so many interesting features.
It works well with the 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen and all the future AMD Ryzen processors. However, you have to update BIOS.
When it comes to memory capacity, there is a dual-channel DDR4 memory which supports up to 120 GB. There are also 4 available memory slots in total.
In order to keep your processor cool and stable, there is a premium thermal solution which has an aluminum cover. This thing is useful in controlling the temperature thanks to its thermal pad and a PCB containing 2 oz. Copper. You will never have to worry about your processor slowing down due to the temperature.
- Users can customize it easily
- Cooling system works efficiently
- It provides great storage
- Users have to update BIOS
MSI Computer Corp. Motherboard ATX
- Chipset: Intel Z87 Express - Extra Features: OC Genie 4, Sound Blaster, Audio Boost, Optimized 'Gaming' Ports
- Memory: 4x DDR3-3000(OC)/ 2800/ 2666/ 2600/ 2400/ 2200/ 2133/ 2000/ 1866/ 1600/ 1333/ 1066 DIMM Slots, Dual Channel, Non-ECC, Buffered, Max Capacity of 32GB
This motherboard contains four RAM slots. It also supports socket 1150 which is needed to run on the i7 4790k. It offers USB 3.0 and enables overclocking for you to make the most of your process. The overclocking ability can reach 4.4 to 4.5 Ghz.
According to its buyers, the item offers lots and lots of USB 3 ports, great color scheme and high-quality I/O shield.
With the item, you don’t need to buy any sound cards because the on-board audio has been made to be great.
MSI Z87-G45 is an excellent mobo particularly for enthusiasts. It is designed to serve gaming purposes. It is strong to complete all the tasks that you command.
- It is sturdy in a long time
- It offers great performance
- There are lots and lots of USB 3 ports
- Users need to update BIOS
Complete Buying Guide For You: How To Choose The best motherboard for i7 4790k?
There are a vast number of motherboards in the market. Just like any other products, before you decide to purchase a Mobo for your Intel Core i7-4790k, you need to take some factors into consideration. Otherwise, the item that you invest money on may turn out to be just a waste of money.
Still confused about your possible options? Below are the 5 basic factors you may not want to ignore when looking for a suitable mobo.
First of all, you have to pay attention to the number of SATA ports. Their function is to connect an optical drive with the storage drives, which includes HDD and SSD drives. Hence, it is strongly recommended that you choose a mobo with enough SATA ports you need to connect the drives you installed in your processor.
In addition, bear in mind that your mobo must offer a SATA 6 GBs standard which is most generally known as SATA 3.0.
Another noteworthy point lies with PCI slots. A PCI slot is a port and a connection in a mboard. It is also commonly known as an expansion slot providing connectivity among expansion cards in the Motherboard.
Make sure that the mobo you are buying includes the PCI slots to meet all your demands. If you are a gamer and you are keen on high-profile online games, you’ll need a Mobo which contains one full-speed PCI Express x16 slot.
Number of RAM slots
Another thing to be considered is the number of RAM slots. The Mobo will define the sort and the quantity of RAM you can install in your PC.
It is the best to choose a motherboard that supports at least 16GB. This will allow you to install as many RAMs as possible. In addition, an ideal motherboard should offer at least 4 memory slots or more so that you can install two memory slots at first, and you can upgrade further in case you may need in the future.
Last but not least, please be mindful of Processor socket when you are looking for a motherboard.
There are a countless number of sockets that each motherboard offers. Each kind socket is compatible with a certain processor. For Intel processor i7 4790k, LGA sockets work best. Hence, if you have an i7 4790k processor, we recommend you buy a mobo that comes with an LGA socket.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it necessary to buy a compatible motherboard for a processor?
Sure. Equipping a compatible mobo is like strengthening your processor. Because a motherboard’s function is to provide connectivity among all the interiors together, it can also provide many more features such as USB connectivity, Bluetooth as well as Wifi. Therefore, getting a good compatible mobo for your processor is definitely necessary.
How does a motherboard work?
A motherboard is usually known as a main printed circuit board inside a computer. It can be said that it is the major piece of circuitry which all other parts plug into in order to create a cohesive complete structure.
A motherboard is viewed as the backbone which connects all the computer’s pieces together at one place and enables them to cooperate with each other. Without it, computer components such as CPU, GPU, or hard drive cannot interact.
How to know if a motherboard is dead?
A motherboard can die and need to be replaced. Here are some symptoms of a dead motherboard:
- It takes a very long time to start up
- Your computer shuts down suddenly
- You cannot turn on your computer
- You computer emits burning smell
The above symptoms can be associated with other problems, not just a motherboard. A loose connection may course those symptoms. So, please check this before you decide to replace a new mobo.
How can I know what my motherboard model is?
You can check your motherboard’s model by following these steps:
- Hit Window + R keys to open the command prompt in Windows.
- When the command prompt box pops up, type “wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer,version,serialnumber”.
- One of the last bits of info on the new line is the serial number that you are looking for.
How to take care of my motherboard?
Most mobos have longer life expectancy than other computer parts. You shouldn’t worry too much about it; however, there are still some factors that may cause harmful effects on your mobo:
- High temperature
- External pressure, e.g. you drop your laptop
- Electrical damage due to inappropriate power accessories
It is strongly recommended that you buy your computer from a reputable brand and only use approved parts and power devices.
Our 5 Top Picks Of The Best Motherboard
There are various motherboard manufacturers in the market. Each has their own customized products and each of which has their upsides and downsides. If you are still confused about which one suits you best, below are our top 5 best choices.
Coming with various modern features regarding cooling system, speed and durability, MSI MEG Z490 GODLIKE Gaming Motherboard deserves to be the best motherboard for i7 4790k if money isn’t your issue.
ASUS Prime Z390-A Motherboard, with advanced fan control and excellent audio system, is considered a suitable model for enthusiasts.
MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI Gaming Motherboard offers a sufficient number of interesting and modern features. On the other hand, it is not too expensive for you to own.
ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 is appropriate for those who wish to own an overclocking motherboard.
Last but not least, if you are looking for yourself a decent motherboard with a low price, MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge will be a sensible choice.
In conclusion, motherboards nowadays come with numerous features and prices. Each has been manufactured and adapted for several specific types of users and purposes. By the exhaustively analyzed information above, we believe that you have identified your favorite motherboard.
Thank you for reading!