For those who play basketball frequently, there is always a concern for injury and pain, particularly in the knees. Basketball players, like many other athletes, are required to do strenuous motions that lend themselves to strains. Quick and forceful lateral movements, jumping, and running on hard floors or pavement can over time cause high levels of wear on the knees from these repeated activities. In addition, the torque and tension of these movements can sometimes cause immediate injuries of varying degrees.
Despite these physical risks to the legs and knees, many people love the game of basketball and it can still be a fun and exciting way to exercise and stay healthy with friends. In the case of immediate and severe pain or injury, it is always best to consult a doctor or visit the emergency room, but if you experience general pain or soreness in your knees, wearing a brace can provide support and stability while you play.
A knee brace can help prevent injury by absorbing some of the impact on drives and lay-ups. It can also help manage knee pain by allowing less strain on lateral movements. Knees braces can be useful as well when recovering from an injury, for example returning to basketball after ACL surgery. They can provide knee support with movement on the court until you are fully recovered and ready to work at full speed. There are many benefits to wearing a knee brace, but there are some things consider when looking at the different types and variations of products.
Should I Wear a Knee Brace for Basketball?
There are many types of products available for athletes and basketball players that provide knee support and stability. A traditional knee brace provides structural support with fabric straps and metal bands embedded in the brace. This is designed to greatly reduce the stress and impact from athletic movements.
In some cases braces may restrict full mobility, but the support is unmatched by other products. Similar to a brace, a knee sleeve is another product that some people use for support in place of a full brace. Usually made of neoprene, polyester, or nylon, a knees sleeve is a tight, fabric sleeve that usually covers the knee as well as part of the calve and thigh. Many sleeves now come with padded inserts that cover and protect the kneecap from the impact of contact or falls. A knee sleeve is frequently used to provide basic support and keep the legs warm throughout play. A sleeve provides much less support and structure than a brace, but it can be less restrictive.
Finally, there is a knee strap. A strap consists of a single band of material, sometimes with metal inserts, that provides support at the knee joint. This can provide some structural support and is less bulky than a full brace. The support is not as comprehensive as the brace and covers very little of the knee. This is best to use when there is minimal and general soreness and a need for a less cumbersome product.
In all, there are many types of products and its best to understand what your specific needs are for for knee brace products. There is sure to be something that meets what you’re looking for.
Here is a review of some of the top products available on the market today for basketball knee braces to help you choose the right product for you.
Top 5 Best Knee Braces for Basketball
Exodus Bodygear EX-701 Knee Brace
- Full 360 Degree Stabilizing Support - Our unique 4-way patented strap design gives you a dependable knee stabilizer . Fully adjustable using 4 independant compression anchor points with dedicated patellar tracking isolating the kneecap reduces pain in jumper's knee patella tendonitis and aids in meniscus tears
- Full Range Of Motion Do What You Love - For both men and women for left and right knees. If you exercise such as soccer, running, hiking skiing that needs supportive lateral and medial ligament protection this is the brace for you. The 360 degree dual cross torsion compression will give you the best in class neoprene open patella support on the market
- So Comfortable It Stays In Place - Most generic 2 and 3 strap open patellar knee braces all have the same issue they slide down on walking cause annoyance, adjusting itching and overheating. We built this knee brace from the ground up to resolve these common flaws and provide a much better way to support the knee It's ideal for arthritis, osteoarthritis dislocation, torn meniscus relief
- Easy to put on under clothes and a joy to wear with minimal adjusting. Less than 6oz with a slimline profile giving maximum support and stabilization over generic 3 strap models. Its flexible, breathable and most importantly feels like your not even wearing it. We urge you to watch the videos and read our customer feedback to see how our product really sets itself apart as the best in class knee support
- Feel The Difference Vs Generic Open Patellar Stabilizing Knee Brace Designs - We ask you to watch the video read the feedback and see what real functional knee support should feel like. Check the sizing guide 21" maximum thigh 3" above the knee and 18" maximum calf width. Total satisfaction contact us for any issues regarding your purchase enjoy the product!
Pros: The Exodus EX-701 is a top-rated product for several reasons. It has a four-way adjustable compression system of straps that wrap around the knee to provide support from all angles. Two smaller straps above and below the knee cap provide compression and allow the brace to stay in place with a great fit, while a larger wrap at the top provides overall stability to the whole brace. Designed to allow the knee to bend a full 90 degrees, its constructed of durable and strong velcro to keep its shape, but also includes lightweight materials like neoprene. Weighing under 6 ounces, its also comfortable to wear, with open spaces behind the knee and at the kneecap to provide breathability and to avoid irritation. Overall, this should be considered one of the top braces available on the market, and it has top reviews from most customers.
Cons: Despite the weight being only 6 ounces, there are other products that weigh even less than that. Many athletes are looking to choose the lightest products, so there might be better options available in that regard.
NeotericBody Knee Brace
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION & ENHANCED SUPPORT: Made out of durable, 4 mm neoprene, our knee brace is, on average, 25-35% THICKER than its mass-made counterparts, offering superior knee support and stabilization, while aiding in attaining pain relief and improved mobility. Ventilated for 5 WHOLE days, post-manufacturing, our brace is FREE of chemical odors, while, thanks to our superior quality neoprene fabric’s breathability, our brace will NOT cause chafing or discomfort to your knee area!
- STEEL STABILIZERS FOR A FULL RANGE OF MOTION: Most knee braces on the market, even the so-called premium ones, feature cheaper, metal or plastic stabilizer versions and sometimes even lack these protective features completely. On the contrary, the NeotericBody brace provides superior knee protection, backed by its unique, angled flat spring coiled stainless steel stabilizers, allowing you to effortlessly participate in sports and outdoor activities, WITHOUT impeding natural leg flexibility!
- EXPERT KNEE FIT, UTMOST CONVENIENCE: Forget bulky, bunching knee braces, outfitted with many, useless straps! Our knee brace measures 12.5 - 18 inches (One Size - Fits Most) around the kneecap, glides over on your knees and stays firmly in place, without the need of any silicone “stay up” grips! Featuring a smart, open patella EVA gasket, our brace stabilizes your ACL, PCL, LCL, and MCL ligaments, while keeping your patella in the right position, resulting in fully mobile knees!
- MADE FOR VERSATILITY & EXCELLENCE: Revel in pain-free movement, without compromising your agility or flexibility. Participate in sports, take up running and improve your rehabilitation regimen for meniscus, ACL, MCL, or other knee and ligament injuries, by wearing the NeotericBody knee brace. Our hi-tech brace design guarantees knee stabilization, helping in preventing the incidence of knee injuries, while remaining tremendously comfortable, throughout wear.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Make a wise investment and gain back what your knee issues have robbed you of, by getting the most thoroughly developed knee brace on the market, whose R&D and advanced manufacturing result in a product which is THRICE as costly to manufacture as common braces – yet remains affordable! Consult our size guide and ensure that our brace is the perfect match for you! Purchase Now The Best, Premium Neoprene Knee Brace Support On Amazon!
Pros: This relatively simple design is very effective at providing support for injured or sore knees. It has two straps, placed above and below an open kneecap area. The Neoteric Body Knee Brace is also durable, constructed of 4mm thick neoprene with spring coiled stainless steel stabilizers, providing a thicker and sturdier construction than most braces without sacrificing breathability and comfort.
Cons: This brace only comes in one size. Though it says one-size fits all, for customers of either smaller or larger stature, the fit might not be as good as other products. Though the design is simple and easy to use with only two straps, other products with a slightly more complex design might allow for maximum range of motion for the knee. The thicker neoprene might also cause some chaffing and irritation for some.
Ipow Breathable Support Knee Brace
- RELIEVE KNEE PAIN AND SPEED UP INJURY RECOVERY. The knee brace features an upgraded built-in RESILIENT COMPRESSION PAD ring which disperses pressure around the whole knee, while four spiral steel stays provide support to the rest of the knee. Effectively ease acute or chronic knee pain caused by arthritis, and help you recover form knee twist, dislocation, or meniscus tear in a shorter time.
- PASSED FDA VERIFICATION. Airy material imported form Japan feels soft and won't aggravate your skin with the affected area wrapped. Straps can be used and used over without being spoiled.
- STAYS IN PLACE. Two rounds of double anti-slip ripple-like silicone conbined with the adjustable straps keep the brace from sliding down or slipping out of place. Free from readjusting bothering whether you are walking, running or jumping.
- WITH A PERIMETER LENGTH BETWEEN 12.5 "AND 21", the knee brace works for legs of assorted sizes. You can adjust the straps to get the right size as you need.
- WE PROVIDE A ONE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY. Hope this brace eliminates your knee pain and help you enjoy a happier life.
Pros: This neoprene knee brace provides excellent stability and comfort. With four pieces, three velcro straps that wrap around the open-patella front piece, it provides a great fit for anyone. The inside is lined with anti-slip silicone with ventilated fabric so it stays in place while keeping you cool.
Cons: The Ipow Knee Brace is constructed of mostly neoprene, silicone, and velcro. Though there is padding and spaces to increase comfort and breathability, the velcro straps are not completely covered when coming in contact with the skin, and can therefore contribute to some chaffing and irritation. Also, neoprene can bunch up behind the knee joint and also cause some discomfort. It only comes in one size, so an exact fit might not work for some customers. Despite some of these negatives, for the price, the Ipow remains a relatively good deal.
PeakAttacke Breathable Adjustable Knee Support Brace
Pros: This design is pretty simple and straightforward with three adjustable, velcro stretch bands. A non-slip rubber insert provides shock-absorption and impact protection. A four-spring design provides stability and durability, allowing the brace to maintain shape and structure, even over extended use. The The back of the knee pad has breathable, perforated cloth material to reduce heat and sweating during play. It also comes in a variety of colors, whereas most braces come in only one color.
Cons: With the current design intended to provided maximum protection and stability, full range of motion and mobility is not as great compared to other products. For those desiring a brace that provides maximum flexibility and movement, a different product might be best. It also only comes in one size, so the fit might not be perfect.
McDavid 6446 Hex Padded Compression Sleeve
- PATENTED HEX PROTECTION - Closed cell foam padding protects your knees from high impact activities and sports. Works best for body contact.
- MOISTURE WICKING TECHNOLOGY - Keep Cool & Dry with advanced hDc Moisture Management Tech
- DURABLE FOR DAILY WEAR - 9mm Hex technology is a favorite among pro and collegiate athletes for its reliable durability
- ENHANCED FIT AND COMFORT - extended length of sleeve protects leg from scrapes and cuts, non-slip material stays in place and doesn't chafe
- COMPRESSES WITH CONFIDENCE - Warm muscles = happy muscles, happy muscles mean reduced fatigue and cramping, so you can go faster and stronger
Pros: This knee compression sleeve is made of nylon and spandex, providing a superior fit and feel, covering a larger portion of the leg than most other products. It has a padded insert that covers the knee joint, providing protection from impact or collision. It comes in a wide variety of colors as well.
Cons: This compression sleeve is not a full brace, so without straps or metal inserts, it provides less structure and stability than a full brace would provide. The material is also rather thin, so the durability is not as strong as other products.
For basketball enthusiasts, the presence of knee pain and discomfort can be a hindrance to competitive and enjoyable activity. Knee braces can be a great product to help alleviate the impact and stress placed on the legs during games and allow a greater level of exertion on the court. By providing support and structure, the strain from quick lateral movements and impact from jumping and running can be greatly reduced.
Knee braces can also be useful for players recovering from recent knee injuries. When returning from injuries, players often require added support and stability to the knee joints until they are fully recovered. Whether you are experiencing knee pains and aches, or returning to the court after an injury, a knee brace can be a great way to gain added support and stability for your knee, maximizing your performance and ability.
There are a number of products available to fit specific needs, so its important to determine your specific needs. Factors like pricing, size, comfort, and durability can all vary widely, but no matter what your are looking for, there is most likely a knee brace available on the market that will fit your needs.