The string trimmer, or what some gardeners refer to as the weed eater, is one of the most effective and functional tools in a homeowner’s shed.
It does an adequate job of taking care of the weeds. It boasts a better reach of the corners than a lawnmower and can work in really steep terrains that mowers can’t.
To get the job done the right way, you’ll need a good weed eater head. Let’s look at your options.
Weed Eater Head Replacement Reviews
Shindaiwa 78890-30000 Speed-Feed 400 Universal Bump Feed Trimmer Head
- New & improved Speed-Feed 400 replaces Speed-Feed 375
- Universal model, includes adapters to fit both straight-shaft & curved shaft trimmers
- Fits most premium trimmer brands including Echo, Honda, Husqvarna, Maruyama, RedMax, Shindaiwa, Stihl
- Holds 20' of .095" trimmer line. Accepts up to .105" line thickness.
Reliability, compatibility, and speed are the three features that best describe Shindaiwa 78890-30000. This bump feed trimmer head is quite reliable despite the opinion of the naysayers. It is also compatible with the majority of weed eaters, if not all, and features improved speed from its predecessors – compatibility includes the premium models such as Honda, Husqvarna, Stihl, and Echo.
- Comes with a better speed making your wedding cutting easy and quick
- The machine is compatible with most other trimmer machines – the straight shafts and curved shafts
- The trimmer heads fit most of the familiar brands on the market, like Husqvarna, Red Max, and Honda
- Has an extended range of lines that it accepts – up to 105″
- Loading the head is easy
- It may not fit some premium models, such as Stihl FS40
Echo 78890-21001E High Capacity Speed Feed 450 Trimmer Head
- Genuine OEM Echo Part; Does not fit curved-shaft trimmers
- PLEASE NOTE: Consult owner's manual for proper part number identification and proper installation. It may look like the right part, but it may not fit your particular machine
- Holds 20' of .095" line. Max line size .130"
- Reload in 30 seconds or less, no disassembly required; Recommended for trimmers with engines 25cc and larger
- Includes adapters to fit most premium trimmer brands like Stihl, Husqvarna, Tanaka, Echo, Shindaiwa, Redmax, Maruyama & Honda;Included adapters are: 8mm x 1.25 LHF (Left Hand thread Female), 10mm x 1.0 LHF, 10mm x 1.25 LHF, 10mm x 1.25 LHF Extended, 7mm LHM (Left Hand thread Male) and 8mm LHM
Echo is an established brand when it comes to gardening products and the like – this means something regarding quality and reliability. Echo 78890-21001E holds an extended range of line – up to 130 inches – effectively. Reloading the head and using it is quite easy.
One of the product’s ideal features includes its compatibility with most premium brands such as Stihl, Honda, and Shindaiwa, among others – which means that you are pretty much covered.
- A more prolonged line range which ensures a broader trimming range
- Reloading and using the head is easy
- It comes with adaptors to enhance its compatibility with other premium brands
- The weed eater bump feed is quite effective
- It may not be among the most durable heads
- Collecting a jammed line may not be as easy
Tanaka 32308 No Brainer Quick Load Cutting Head for Straight Shaft String Trimmers
- Fits 95-Percent of all trimmers (adapters included)
- Holds 0.080-Inch to .155-Inch line (.155-Inch round line only)
- Six strips of .095-Inch line included
Tanaka 32308 spells simplicity of design all over. This means that the trimmer head is quite easy to handle and use – no-brainer here – but that’s not only what’s excellent about the head. It is compatible with a wide range of weed eaters you will find out there – it comes with the necessary adapters to make this possible. The head holds up to 155 inches, and you know what that means? – Yes, a wide trimming radius.
- The simple design, thus easy to operate
- A decent level of compatibility with other devices – comes with necessary adapters
- Easy to use
- Holds up to 155 inches of line
- The head works efficiently
- It may not fit some models, such as the STIHL FS45
- It is definitely not the most powerful, but it’s effective
Husqvarna 537388101 Universal T35 Tap Advance Straight Shaft String Trimmer Head
- Fits Husqvarna straight shaft trimmers and most Echo, Stihl and RedMax straight shaft trimmers
- Fed automatically when head is pushed into ground
- Includes a package with adapters that allows it to be attached to most other brands
- M10x1,25L x 2 / M10x1,0L x 2 / M8x1,25L
Well, there’s Husqvarna, and there are others when it comes to gardening power tools. In other words, this is among the few reliable string trimmer heads you will find anywhere. For starters, it is a universal fit and comes with all the necessary adapters you need to fit different models – name any major brand, and the Husqvarna 537388101 will fit.
The trimmer head is easy to use and comes with all the necessary accessories to fit and start your mowing – a no-brainer.
- A quality product from a reliable and quality brand
- It is a universal fit and is compatible with most models you will find
- Feeding is automatic with a light tap on the ground
- It is easy to use – even novices can comfortably use it
- Quite lightweight – 1.2lbs
- A small head may not be appropriate for more extensive lawns
- May not be compatible with the particular significant model – do research and make inquiries before purchase
Grass Gator 4680 Brush Cutter Extra Heavy Duty Replacement Trimmer Head
- Will fit 99-percent of all straight shaft gas trimmers
- It is designed for heavy duty, commercial grade, gas trimmers with engines of 25-cc or more
- The grass gator heavy duty is excellent for both grass, weeds, and heavy brush
Straight-shaft gas trimmers are quite popular based on their power and ease of use. Therefore, their heads are quite sturdy and functional. Well, Grass Gator 4680 Brush Cutter Extra Heavy Duty Replacement Trimmer Head is pretty much what we are talking about. The compatibility level that comes with this head is quite decent, as it fits an impressive 99% of gas brush cutters – at least, that’s what they claim.
- A high level of compatibility – will fit the majority of machines
- It is a sturdy and functional head
- Designed for commercial/ heavy-duty trimmers
- Perfect for various varieties of weeds and grass – a useful piece
- The plastic housing may not be the best – it may easily break
The Various Types of Weed Eater Heads
The Bump Feed
There are several types of weed eater heads on the market, but just as you will guess, they almost function in the same way. Among the most common is the bump feed system, which gets its name from the need to bump or tap the tool’s bottom rightly on the ground.
Most gardeners actually prefer the bump feed over any other type – they are convenient and easy to use. However, the constant bumping eventually takes a toll on the head, eventually needing replacement.
The Fixed Head
As opposed to winding an entire line length around a spool, this system needs the loading of individual lengths. This makes your task easier – no need to spend a significant amount of time winding and this explains why it is favorable for commercial weed eaters.
Fixed heads are sufficiently thick and rugged, and you don’t need to replace them continually – it saves you time and money. It is also ideal for people that consider line winding too much of a hassle.
This is another variety common among current machines. Just like the bump feed, the automatic feed utilizes a spooling motor, but unlike its counterpart, the process is automated – the name even tells you that much.
The automatic feed heads are easy to use and make your task of subduing the brush around the homestead quicker. The only shortcoming with this variety is that replacement is quite expensive.
Factors to Consider when Selecting a Weed Eater Head
The weed eater head is one of the most important since this is where you place the line that whacks the weed – without the head, there would be no weed whacking.
However, surface debris, little stones, and metallic objects are likely to come in the way as the machine works. This only means that you will need to replace it eventually – it’s a certainty.
But you can reduce the costs associated with replacement by purchasing the best weed eater head you can get.
- Power: with all the fuss about reducing greenhouse gases and fast-paced technology characterizing contemporary life, electric trimmers are thus quite common – their convenience and ease of use are other important factors behind their success. Despite their eco-friendliness – we are not saying it is a bad thing – they cannot match the gas-powered trimmer heads regarding power and durability. The gas trimmers heads and machines are resilient and will go a long way in trimming the weed, giving you a significant amount of service – after all, reliability is what everyone looks for.
- Size: the size of the trimmer head you choose is based on the size of your yard. The bigger your yard is, the bigger the machine you’ll need – as simple as that! It would not make sense to go for a smaller one, and your yard is expansive – it would mean spending a lot of time on it to cover every ground surface.
- Smaller heads may appear cheaper and more durable, but that’s not the case. Their small size means that they may not be in a position to overcome the obstacles along the way. Bigger heads are, thus, more durable, besides making brush clearing easy.
- Compatibility: you can never choose the wrong trimmer head for your machine regardless of its high-end features – where would you use it? Typically, the specifications and features will tell you whether it’s the right head for your weed eater.
- The Type: we have mentioned the various types of trimmer heads available on the market. Ideally, you should go with the trimmer that effectively serves your needs – there’s usually no need to go with the flow and choose a trimmer like a bump head only to put it away since it is hard to master its usage.
- The Cost: when it comes to such accessories as trimmer heads, don’t go so much with the cheap, or you will regret your purchase. Best is not always cheap – keep that in mind.
Having a decent weed eater helps control weeds and grass on your lawn. With that, you need a good head to compliment it. All the listed products are a feature for a good reason – they are among the best. However, Shindaiwa 78890-30000 Feed Trimmer Head steals our top spot for a pretty good reason.
The machine features improved speeds, and its compatibility levels with most of the major blades are something notable. Loading and use is a breeze, and the only thing you might regret is not finding it earlier.